FIXING OF GREEN PAPER SEAL IN THE CONTROL UNIT1. Fixing green paper seal
- In the conventional system of voting where ballot papers and ballot boxes were used, the ballot boxes used to be sealed and secured by fixing a green paper seal specially got printed by the Commission. Once the green paper seal was fixed in a ballot box and the lid of the box was closed, the box could not be opened and the ballot papers contained therein could not be tampered with or taken out for counting unless the green paper seal was torn. Similar safeguard has been provided in the voting machine so that once the control unit is sealed and poll commences, nobody should be able to tamper with the voting machine. To achieve and ensure this, provision has been made for fixing the same green paper seal in the control unit of the voting machine, as was used for securing the ballot box.
- There is a frame provided for fixing the paper seal on the inner side of the door of the inner compartment of the result section of the control unit. Before the green paper seal is fixed in the frame provided for the purpose on the inner side of the door of the inner compartment of the result section of the control unit, you should affix your signature in full immediately below the serial number of the paper seal on the white surface of the paper seal. It shall also be got signed by such of the candidates or their polling agents as are present and are desirous of affixing their signatures. The Presiding Officer should verify that the signatures of the polling agents on the paper seal tally with their signatures on their letters of appointment.
- There is provision of two frames In the case of voting machines manufactured by Bharat Electronics Limited, Bangalore, allowing arrangement for fixing two paper seals and accordingly two paper seals are to be used in the control units of the voting machines manufactured by that company, where as in the case of voting machines manufactured by Electronics Corporation of India Limited, Hyderabad, there is only one frame providing arrangement for fixing only one green paper seal. (In the upgraded model of the Electronic Voting Machine, whether manufactured by BEL, Bangalore or ECIL, Hyderabad, only one paper seal is used as in the pre-upgraded model of the ECIL machine.)
- The seal should be so fixed that its green surface is seen through the aperture from out side. When the green paper seal is fixed on the control unit of the voting machine, it will look as in the picture below:-
- It should be ensured that damaged paper seal is not used in any case and if any paper seal gets damaged in the process of fixing, it should be replaced then and there before the door of the inner compartment is closed.
- After fixing the paper seal, the door of the inner compartment should be closed by pressing it fit. It should be closed in such a manner that the two open ends of the paper seal project outwards from the sides of the inner compartment.
- You should keep a correct account of the paper seals supplied to him for use at the polling station and the paper seals actually used by you for sealing and securing the control unit. Such account shall be maintained by you in the form specifically prescribed for the purpose vide Item 9 of Part I of Form 17C appended to the Conduct of Elections Rules, 1961.
- You should allow the candidates or their polling agents present to note down the serial number of paper seals so supplied for use and actually used.