ENGLISH, Paper - I
Time: 2hours 45 min.] [Maximum Marks : 40
- This question paper contains three sections (Section A, B and C)
- 15 minutes time is allotted exclusively for reading the question paper and 2 hrs. 30 minutes for answering the qustions.
- All the answers are to be written in the seperate answer booklet.
- Make use of the last pages of the answer booklet for rough work, if necessary, while answering the questions under Section 'C'.
SCETION - A
Q.(1-7) Read the following passage.
Telugu audiences are proud of many great producers, directors and artistes. Savitri is one such prestigious artiste. Ever since she was eight, she evinced interest in learning dance. Later she associated herself with the theatre. She formed a theatre organization as well. She had little difficulty in entering the film field. When Savitri was twelve, she was offered a role in the film, Agnipareeksha, but was finally dropped as she looked too young for the role.
She was given a song sequence "Ranante rane ranu" - in Pathala Bhairavi. Savitri's part in it was brief , but the effect of her performance was considerable. Her expressions were beautiful. A lot of film makers recongnized 'a potential artiste' in her.
As a result, she was elevated to the role of a heroine by the noted director L.V. Prasad in the film 'Samsaaram' (1950). On the sets, she was nervous; she had to repeat many takes and this proved a setback for her. The role was given to someone else and she was given a small role of less import.
In the film 'Devadasu' (1953), [one of] the best picturisation(s) of Sartchandra Chatterjee's novel 'Devadas', Parvathi comes alive in Savitri. The young Parvathi with curly hair, a lock of hair straying to her forehead, the large round blackberry eyes looking out from an innocent face left an indelible imprint in the minds of all cine lovers. She portrayed Devada's love and the role of a rich man's wife marvellously. Savitri left her mark in this evergreen Telugu classic.
(A Tribute)Now answer the following questions. Each question has four choices. Choose the correct answer and write (A), (B), (C) or (D) in your answer booklet.
1. Savitri was offered a role in the film, but was finally dropped because..............
(A) She was nervous.
(B) She looked too old.
(C) She looked too young.
(D) She had little experience.
2. In the passage which of the following words means 'moved someone to a more important rank or level'?
3. Why Savithri was given a small role of less import in the film 'Samsaaram'?
(A) She was too young for the role.
(B) She was not suitable for the role.
(C) The noted director L.V. Prasad did not like her.
(D) She was nervous on the sets.
4. What type of text is this passage?
(A) A narrative.
(B) A biographical sketch.
(C) A detailed report.
(D) A story.
Q.(5-7) Answer the following questions in two or three sentences.
5. How did Savithri reach the peak after the setback in the film 'Samsaaram'?
6. List out three qualities that made Savithri remarkable in the film industry.
7. Why do you think ' Devdasu' is an evergreen classic?
Q.(8-12) Read the following passage.
There was something really wrong with the State Transport bus. It had come up the winding road in the mountain as if with a life-time offort. The road was now down-hill and yet the bus moved as slowly as a sick man walking with the help of another. It reached the plain where the dispensary building was situated, and stood still, like an obstinate bull. Now, the destination was hardly a mile or two away. But the driver was sore and the conductor had no option but to be silent. When they realized that the bus wouldn't move any faster, a couple of passangers exclaimed : "Goddammit for a bloody nuisance !"
The conductor asked the passengers to get down and they all put their strength together to push the bus. Having gained this initial momentum, the bus started. Passengers clambered up, jostling one another. The conductor rang the bell and the bus gradually took on speed. It entered the village reluctantly like a truant child being dragged to school. As it wound its way through the curves on the outskirts, it groaned and croacked like a hen about to lay eggs, and stopped with a bang in front of BhujabaPatil's residence. As it halted, it gave a big lurch, sending the passengers helter-skelter, churned like water in pitcher when the carrier stumbles.
(The Storeyed House-I)Now answer the following questions. Each question has four choices. Choose the correct answer and write (A), (B), (C) or (D) in your answer booklet.
8. "But the driver was sore .............." What does the word 'sere' mean in the above context?
9. In the passage, the bus is not compared with one of the following.
(A) A hen about to lay eggs.
(B) An obstinate bull.
(C) A traunt child.
(D) A fast deer.
10. The passengers exclaimed 'Goddammit for a bloody nuisance!' What is the tone of the expression?
Answer the following questions in the one or two sentences. (2x1=2 marks)
11. How did the bus start ?
12. Why do you think the bus is compared to a traunt child being dragged to school ?
SECTION - B
Vocabulary and Grammar
Q(13-17) Read the passage given below. Five sentences in the passage are numbered (13-17) at the begining. Each of these sentences has an error. Correct and rewrite them in the answer booklet.
The next day he went with his wife to the capital. (13)The king were pleased to see him and ordered the potter to lead the army into battle the next day. The enemy were not far from the gates of the city. (14)A splendid house have been prepared for the potter and his wife. (15)The horse would carry him into battle was ready in the stable.
That night the potter could not sleep. (16)He was nervous and worried so he did not know how to ride a horse. 'If I fall off,everybody would laugh at me', he thought. (17)"I will got up very early tomorrow and practise riding the horse."
Q.(18-22) Complete the passage choosing the right words from the choices given below. Each black is numbered (18-22) and the choices are given as (A), (B), (C) and (D).
Choose the correct answer from the given choices and write (A), (B), (C) or (D) in the answer booklet.
It is this strand of cultural unity running through the country that we .............(18) heir to, and which people ..............(19) the west are increasingly turning now. It is up to the younger generation to uphold this torch of cultural unity for the rest of the world to see, follow and emulate, and not get dazed by the superficial ................(20) and material achievment of the west, where man has set foot on .............(21) moon in his quest for space travel, .................(22) finds himself isolated in his own society and community.
SECTION - C
Creative Writing (Discourses)
23. Once there was a very greedy king. Even though he was very rich, he always craved for more and more. Every day he prayed God for more and more. One day, God appeared before him and granted him a wish. King asked, "Give me golden touch. Everything I touch should become gold." God granted his wish. The king was delighted with his good fortune. Everything he touched turned into gold. He thought that he must be the richest man in the world. But in the evening when he sat down for supper, king was not so happy. His food turned into gold the moment he touched it and he had to go to bed without any food! However, king was too greedy to be sad about it.
Now write a possible conservation between the King and the God (10 marks)
23. Read the following poem.
If a tree could talk, what would it say ?
"Don't chop me down, just walk away."
If a river dump in trash, what would it say ?
"Don't dump in trash, throw it away."
If the air could talk, what would it say?
"The factories must learn to keep smoke away."
If the animals could talk, what would they say?
"Help us to live, we wish to stay."
If the earth could talk, what would it say?
"Protect me by making every day Earth day !"
Write a choreography script on the above poem. While writing the choreography script keep the following details.
- The theme
- Instances of the theme
- Characters involved
- Sequence of actions
As the Secretary of the School Cultural Club, you want to inform the students about the competition.
Prepare a notice to display on School Notice Board. While writing the notice you keep the following details:
Date; Venue; Occasion; Events; Last date for registration; Contact details.